Gryphon IV Maintenance Log 2010

|| Gryphon's Home Page || N6RFM Home Page ||

|| Winterization Checklist || Winter Projects 2010 - 2011 ||

|| End of Log||


Warren Trafton of Sailing Yachts Rhode Island is helping us purchase Gryphon IV, a 1981 Bristol 29.9, hull number 188,  from Jan and Rob Fancher in Barrington, RI.  Gryphon IV, Coast Guard documentation # 639798 (formerly Spirit), was the last boat owned by the now defunct Bristol Yachts.  She was taken back in trade just before the company went out of business.

We later learned that Pat and Mike Orsatti had that boat built in 1981 and had her for 17 seasons. They traded the boat back to Bristol and Clint Pearson in 1998 and took delivery of a brand new Bristol 38.8, which they still have. The Orsatti's 38.8 was the last boat built by Bristol.  Mike tells me they loved their 29.9.  "She gave us many years of fun filled memories.  We kept her in Stamford CT and sailed her on Long Island Sound and annually to Martha's Vineyard, Nantucket and the Elizabeth Islands; one year we sailed her to Maine."  Thanks Mike for your email!

The Fancher's owned Gryphon IV for over 10 years.  In that time, they installed numerous upgrades including a Yanmar 2GM20F 18 HP diesel (2000) with now 685 hours, a 20 gallon fuel tank, Isotherm SP refrigeration, a new suit of sails (2001), Schaeffer roller furling, Lewmar self tailing winches, a custom deck collar around the mast for block attachment to lead lines aft and rigged for deck tie down to the keel stepped mast, a Quick Vang, a bimini and dodger, new plumbing hoses and sink faucets, complete re-wiring, a custom circuit breaker panel, Hawker Odyssey AGM Batteries (starting - one PC1200, 44 AH battery, installed February 2000; house bank - one PC1700, 68 AH battery, installed June 2003 and two Hawker model TI1700, 68 AH battery, installed May 1999), a Raytheon  RL70RC Radar/Chartplotter (part # M92670), a Questus backstay mount for the scanner, a Raymarine 114D differential beacon GPS antenna, Raymarine ST60 multi-display repeater, wind, and tri-data (depth, speed) instrumentation, a Raymarine ST4000+ Autolhelm, a Standard Horizon Quest GX1255S VHF marine radio, a Switlik MOM 8AC Man Overboard Module, an ACR RapidFix 406 EPIRB, and a CNG two burner stove system.  They also re-did the Awlgrip on the deck and cabin house (2008) as well as installed a new a tri-color masthead running light!  The three bladed propeller is stamped; 5-99, 13ELLIS13, JAXFLA (Ellis Propellers, Jacksonville, FL).

Boat now on the hard at Stanley's Boat Yard in Barrington, RI.


Sunny, 65 F.  Helped Rob get Gryphon ready for our upcoming survey and sea trial.  Rob had previously completed sanding most of the bottom.  We taped the waterline and applied a single coat of blue Micron Extra ablative bottom paint; took just under a gallon.  The remaining paint will serve for the few touch up spots, under the stands and keel.  Warren was at the boatyard showing a C&C 34 to a couple from Halifax, NS.


Sunny, 65 F.  Touched up the bottom paint in a few places.  Rob had Stanley's service one thru-hull in the port stern quarter and replace another under the sink in the head.  Capt. Jeff Stone of Azimuth Marine did an "on the hard" survey starting in the AM.  He was very thorough and took over 3 1/2 hours going over every detail.  Warren showed up to make sure we were making progress.  Great news; no major survey findings; onward to sea trial.  Rob came over later in the afternoon.  We briefly ran the diesel for the first time this season.  Start up sequence coming out of Winter layover; check oil (oil and filter replaced in the Fall), set decompression levers to "reduced compression" position, throttle to lowest rpm position, turn over engine for 15 seconds (to lubricate internal components), wait 15 seconds, turn over engine for 15 seconds again, set decompression levers to "run" position, throttle to ~1/8, start engine and adjust rpm to 800-1000 rpm.  Ran for only a few minutes since no water.


Sunny, 65 F.  Launch day!  Rob finished up the bottom paint with the boat in the slings.  Stanley's Boat Yard had her launched before we arrived.  Rob and Jan moved her to the dock at the Barrington Yacht Club next door.  Rob and I rigged the main and 135 headsail.  Jan and Rob rigged the lazy jacks and dodger.  Jeff showed up not long afterwards to come aboard for the sea trial.


Sunny, 55 F.  Sheila and I drove down to the Fanchers.  Picked up the conduit and wooden struts used for Gryphon's Winter cover.  Rob had the Avon 2.80 we bought from them set up and secured at the dock.  Also picked up the extra CNG tank.

05/01/2010 [aboard Water Music]

Sunny, 80F.   Spot sanded the bottom using a Chicago Electric variable speed sander equipped with 50 grit discs.  A gentle touch was key.  Installed zincs on the prop shaft.  Faired two seacocks using Marine-Tex.  Cathy will finish sanding these spots later.  Taped at waterline; ready to apply bottom paint.  Installed replacement Pyle speakers in the cockpit.  Need to troubleshoot the port side speaker wiring.  Enlarged the VHF opening for a new Matrix GX2100 VHF radio/AIS receiver combination from Standard Horizon.  Need DC connectors to finish installation.  Cathy has to decide how she wants to hook up GPS to unit.


Cloudy, 70F.  Very hard to start the Nissan 3.5A, would only run on partial choke at high speed.  Will check fuel flow path and rebuild carburetor.  Cleaned up and vacuumed the interior.  Tightened the drain hose for the head sink; it was slowly dripping when the seacock was opened.  Need to keep an eye on this.  Will check others.  Replaced the empty CNG tank with a full one.  Repaired an intermittent autopilot connector; taped exposed/broken wiring strands in the connector likely caused by twisting when the wheel was taken on/off over the years.  Will replace connector.

05/05/2010 [at home]

Sunny, 75F.  Tore down the carburetor on the Nissan 3.5A with intent to rebuild using a kit from Tohatsu.  Everything inside looked quite new.  Used carburetor cleaner on all parts and passages.  Re-assembled using the same parts.  Started right up after re-assembly!  Adjusted idle speed.  Will save rebuild kit for a future project.


Rain showers, 55F.  Sheila and I were out doing boat errands; two CNG tank refills (one for Water Music) at Corp Brothers in Providence and assorted goodies from West Marine in Seekonk.  Brought more gear onboard.  Tested interface of RL70RC with my old IBM Thinkpad 760XL running Offshore Navigator under Windows 98.  Computer received NMEA data OK.  Need to examine and connect NMEA input circuit to allow for possible transfer of waypoints from the computer to the RL70RC.  May need a NMEA multiplexer or SeaTalk/NMEA bridge to do this.  Brought home V-berth cabinet door to repair latch pin (done).


Sunny, 75F.  Installed a new spark plug in the Nissan 3.5A (NGK BP6HS-10).  Re-assembled cabinet door below the V-berth after repairing the latch pin.  Exercised several of the hull seacocks.  Will need to service the somewhat stiff holding tank pump overboard seacock (V-berth starboard side) next season.  Re-set several of the grommet pins (which were loose) for the dodger with Marine-Tex.  Touched up the teak in the cockpit and on one of the dorade boxes with two coats of Sikens Cetol Marine.  Examined the wiring to the RL70RC.  The NMEA inputs have not been used, making interfacing for input from laptop easier.  The C-Map cartridge in the RL70RC was dated April 24, 2002; part # M-NA-C312-0, class MW+.  Purchased a new C-Map M-NA-C301 NT+ Wide cartridge (Passamaquoddy to Narragansett Bay) from Landfall Navigation.  Could not get the new chart cartridge to work; chart not found error!   Will call technical support at Raymarine and Jeppesen for help.


Sunny, 70F.  Replaced bulbs in deck navigation lights; stern light now OK, but bow lights still out.  Located broken wires under both Perko fixtures!  Will rewire.  Rob kindly stopped by to visit and discuss some of Gryphon's systems, and helped bring the boat into the dock at Stanley's.  We also flushed the antifreeze from the system and filled both water tanks with fresh water.  Thanks Rob!  Noted that the depth reading is not showing up on the RL70RC; will troubleshoot later; suspect RL70RC not connected via the Seatalk bus to ST60 instrumentation.


Sunny, 65F.  Contacted technical support at Jeppesen and Raymarine earlier in the week.  Jeremy at Jeppesen said to check display at startup. He noted that the earlier (Raytheon) Pathfinder units could use the NT format but may not be compatible with the NT+, etc (Raymarine units are).  They would provide an NT format card if needed, but suggested turning "plotter mode" to off and "boundaries" to on.  Mark at Raymarine confirmed that C-Map compatibility depended on whether the unit startup screen read Raytheon (NT only) or Raymarine (NT, NT+, NT+W).  A firmware/HSB2 upgrade would resolve a NT+ compatibility problem.  The current price to upgrade the RL70RC to a Plus (HSB2) to get new firmware would be $1000!  Not bloody likely.

Onboard; determined that the RL70RC is a Raytheon unit running version 6.04 firmware. I turned "plotter mode" to off; the new C-Map NT+W chip seems to work!  Go figure.  Rewired both bow navigation lights.  Noticed a leak in head sink coming from bottom of basin.  Disassembled and removed the sink drain.  Broke the handle while moving the Y-valve for the head; will order a replacement from Bosworth.  Disassembled and cleaned the Y-valve anyway.  Traced the wiring for the Raymarine instruments cluster, the Seatalk/114D GPS junction box and the NMEA distribution box.  See 5/29/10 entry for wiring diagrams.  Plan to connect the cluster to the RL70RC via the Seatalk bus so depth and wind information may be displayed at the navigation station.

[on Water Music]  Helped Cathy flush and fill water tanks, tried to install her new VHF/AIS receiver radio but need a missing panel mount bracket.  Disassembled the Raycor unit so the filter could be changed.


Sunny, 70F.  Re-assembled the sink drain in the head; re-bedded the drain fitting using plumber's putty.  Replaced the 5/8" ID fuel tank vent line with 5 1/2 feet of Sheilds Type A2 Fire-Acol (Series "369") fuel vent  hose.  Touched up the teak toerail around the bow running lights and on the starboard scuppers with two coats of Sikens Cetol Marine.  At home, replaced the burner assembly and drip tray in the Force 10 22" long log style grill.  Parts were from Kuuma Products, which bought the BBQ line from Force 10.


Sunny, 80F.  Verified the IR LED isolated NMEA circuit to the EPIRB.  Turns out that the camera in my cell phone is sensitive to IR radiation.  When receiving NMEA data, the IR LED blinks in the phone camera viewfinder!  Wired the Seatalk circuit from ST60 cluster to the Raymarine junction box in Nav station.  This was accomplished using a Raymarine D203 Seatalk jumper cable, a Seatalk cable end wired to the RL70RC and a D244 three way junction box.  Connected the DB9 serial cable (signal out) at the nav station to the NMEA Channel 1 input to the RL70RC; can now send (via NMEA out) and receive (via NMEA in) navigation data from the shipboard laptop.  Updated wiring diagrams here.  Drilled out the enlarged screw holes in the teak under the bow navigation lights and filled the holes with epoxy.  Cleaned the bilge!  Scrubbed the cabin sole, and oiled some of the woodwork with Old English lemon oil.


Sunny, 70F.   Re-drilled the epoxied screw holes and assembled the bow lights.  Noticed that the RL70RC reset itself twice when communicating with the laptop.  Moved the NT+ plus card to the upper slot.  It seemed to settle down.  Need to keep an eye on this.  Replaced the lower grommet in the Questus radar mount.


Sunny, 75F.  Installed a strain relief on the shower drain hose over the bilge.  Noticed that the laptop lost NMEA communication with the RL70RC shortly after we departed Bristol.  The ST60 cluster was getting data via both Seatalk and NMEA; as the Bearing To Waypoint display continued to function.  This suggests something other than the RL70RC re-setting itself as before; will sleuth out later.  The regulator on the Force 10 grill has given up the ghost; will order a new one.


Cloudy, 80F.  The port side cabin top hand rail leaks at the forward attachment point, and the surveyor noted a low moisture level under the second rail attachment points; both need to be re-bedded.  Christopher drilled out the bungs to partially expose the screws; step one of the handrail re-bedding project.  Epoxied a small block of wood under the starboard stern lazarette; will use to hang the fuel vent line up and out of the way.  Replaced the handle on the 3-way valve in the head; Bosworth YV-094D-L valve part 4 (epoxy coated aluminum handle).  Replaced the regulator on the Force 10 grill.  Removed the older Standard Horizon Quest GX1255S VHF; will replace with the West Marine class D DSC VHF650 used on Crab Louie.  Updated the MMSI account details with Boat US.


Sunny, 82F.   Removed the port side handrail in the cabin and on deck; each was mounted independently.  The hole pattern suggested the external rail was re-mounted after the boat was built.  Drilled out all mounting holes to oversize.  There was evidence of water intrusion into the balsa core only at the forward mounting point.  The second was dry despite what the survey suggested.  A leak under the first attachment point was expected since water had been dripping into the cabin at this location during heavy rains.  Using a drill equipped with a bent (~ 3/8") piece of stiff coat hanger wire and a Dremel 199 disc cutter, removed about 3/8" of balsa core between the skins around each hole essentially as described here.  Some balsa coming from the forward hole was damp and discolored; had to dig about 1" under these skins to get to clean dry balsa.  From below, plugged holes in the headliner and lower skin opening with disposable foam earplugs.  In two cases, the openings were elongated due to two overlapping holes.  Used balls of butyl putty to fill these and prevent epoxy from leaking between the lower skin and headliner, or into the cabin.  On deck, taped the areas around the holes.  Filled each hole almost flush with the cabin top using US Composites 150 (thick) epoxy resin mixed with medium hardener using a small plastic syringe from West System.  Fortunately, no drips.  Once the epoxy started to set up, faired each hole in the cabin top with epoxy thickened with West System 404  High-Density filler.  When the epoxy had really set up, removed the foam plugs or butyl putty.  Installed the West Marine VHF650.  Brought port side rails home for re-finishing.

Week of 06/20/2010 [at home]

Sanded the port side deck handrail to remove old caulking and deck paint splatter; drilled several holes in two of the bases which had small cracks.  Injected holes and cracks with epoxy to repair/strengthen; clamped several bases.  Will re-drill mounting holes later.  After epoxy had set overnight, completed sanding with 120 grit.  Re-finished with three coats of Cetol Marine over several days.

Started repairs to cabin coach roof port handrail.  Christopher accidentally drilled through the rail base while removing one of the bungs.  Squared off the gouge and fit in several small strips of 1/8" teak veneer from Buck Woodcraft.

06/26/2010 [aboard Water Music]

Sunny, 80F.  Rigged 130 jib and furling line.  Completed installation of Matrix GX2100 VHF radio/AIS receiver combination.  Mounted remote RAM3 VHF mike receptacle in cockpit.  Re-wired speakers to Jensen AM/FM stereo.


Sunny, 84F.  Drilled holes through epoxy plugs and re-mounted port side deck handrail.  Used 3/4" wide x 1/8" thick white butyl tape from Dyers RV as bedding material.  Excess cleaned up very nicely with mineral spirits.  Cracked the side of the aft most rail mount when replacing a sworn crew!  Epoxied the crack back together and clamped; we'll see.  Brought the boat into the BYC dock; filled fuel (5 gallons) and water tanks; pumped out holding tank.  Removed starboard side cabin handrail; brought home for re-finishing.

Week of 06/28/2010 [at home]

Re-finished cabin handrails with three coats of Helmsman Spar Urethane semi-gloss over several days.


Sunny, 80-90F.  Re-mounted cabin handrails.  Epoxied in 1/2" teak bungs to fill screw holes on port side cabin handrail; will sand flush and re-finish later.  Re-sanded aft most mount of port cabin-top handrail.  Re-finished same with three coats of Cetol Marine.  Installed a Pyle PLCD13MR Marine Audio CD Player AM FM Receiver over hanging locker; will re-mount in custom teak box later.  Mounted diesel vent line in stern lazarette.  Duct tape repair to leaking bilge hose!  Will replace the hose.  Cleaned raw water intake filter; baby mussels growing inside!  Checked assembly of head Y-valve.  Cleaned out holding tank vent line.  Cleaned anti-siphon valve at sea pump-out.  Sheila scrubbed the inside of the hanging locker and the head with Lestoil.  Filled small gap in headliner behind port cabin handrail with Marine-Tex.


Partly cloudy, 80F.  Replaced bilge pump hose with 1 1/8" Shields Rubber Series 141 Multiflex (~ 14 feet); added a chafe protector between stern bulkhead using a piece of old hose.  Cleaned bilge pump in-line check valve.  Replaced holding tank vent hose with 5/8" Shields Rubber Series 150 PVC (~ 8 feet).  Replaced white sprayer handle (Scandvik #10279) on head faucet fixture.  Caulked vanity top seams with white Polyseamseal Tub & Tile adhesive caulk.  Cut opening in lower port side false panel in V-berth to mount gauge for SCAD TM01 holding tank monitor.  Sanded bungs flush with port cabin handrail contours.


Partly cloudy, 85F.  Replaced the mainsail gate with an MM MG-H1 hinged assembly from Rig Rite.  This gate is designed to fit MetalMast 7244 mast section used on Bristol 29.9s.  Applied a two coats of spar urethane to sanded areas of portside cabin handrail.  Completed wiring of SCAD TM01 holding tank monitor.


Sunny, 85F.  Calibrated holding tank monitor.  Drilled small pilot hole drilled into "small delamination" reported by the surveyor just ahead of starboard winch; turned out to be solid fiberglass without core, unlike the surrounding area.  Filled the hole with Marine-Tex.  Applied final coat (#3) of spar urethane to sanded areas of portside cabin handrail.  Cut indoor-outdoor carpet for the V-berth, cabin and under navigation station.


Sunny, 85F.  Noticed a modest vibration at ~ 2800 RPM on way back to mooring a few weeks ago.  Lots of growth along the waterline and suspected a fouled prop.  Steve from Stanley's Boatyard dove the boat to clean the bottom and prop. 


Sunny, 80F.  Getting ready for our Jamestown cruise next weekend.  Filled fuel tank (5.2 gallons), topped off engine oil (8 oz Shell Rotella-T1 30W), filled water tanks.  Cleaned boat interior.


Sunny, 82F.  Spot re-finished portions of the starboard teak toe rail.  Used the Bosch Multi-X tool to sand worn segments of the rail; first with 80, then 120 grit.  Finished with 3 coats of Cetol Marine.  The ACR RapidFix 406 EPIRB was not receiving GPS coordinates according to the self test routine.  The infrared optical coupling was working.  Used Hyperterminal to snoop the NMEA bus.  Determined that the output strings from the Raymarine RL70RC included the fix (GGA) data, but with an $EC prefix (NMEA code for a electronic chartplotter).  Verified with ACR tech support that the EPIRB specifically requires the $GCGGA sentence (GC prefix is GPS).  NMEA sentences from several onboard devices shown here.  Sheila measured the pull-out berth in the cabin and V-berth for custom fit mattress pads.  Added 1 oz of Valvtect Bioguard microbiocide to fuel tank. 

07/29/2010 [at home]

Sheila cut and sewed custom mattress pads for the cabin and V-berth.  Temporarily wired the EPIRB optical interface to Garmin GPS 4-pin/serial harness.


Sunny, 80F.  Verified that the Garmin GPS 48 NMEA 2.0 output contains the $GPGGA sentence.  Hooked up GPS 48 to EPIRB; fix data now received.  Replaced portside cockpit scupper and head vanity drains with  Shields Rubber 1.5" ID Series 250 Flex II Marine Water/Exhaust Hose with Wire.  The Shields 141 Multiflex taken out, while cheaper and easy to work with, was not rated for below waterline applications.  Noticed that the SCAD TM01 sensor was not working.  Replaced the board to sensor wiring; still not working.  Dennis at SCAD walked me through several diagnostics; determined the circuit board may have a fault in the sensor power circuit; replacement board on the way.  Found leak in cockpit shower hose assembly; will replace.  Ling went up to the spreaders in a bosun's chain and rove the flag halyard.  Now we can fly the BHIP burgee! Thanks Ling.


Sunny, 82F. Replaced circuit board in the SCAD TM01 control panel; will re-calibrate.  Peggy Hall (The Head Mistress) recommends using straight fittings on holding tank vents!  Replaced the holding tank vent on the hull just below deck level on the port bow using a Perko acetal #0301DP4A straight 5/8" mushroom head barbed fitting; bedded with Boatlife LifeCaulk.  The original bronze vent had a built in clam shell, could not be easily cleaned or unplugged and had a very small orifice.  Mounted a Raymarine E85001 PC-Seatalk-NMEA interface box on the forward side of the navigation station.


Sunny, 80F. Re-calibrated SCAD TM01; now working.  Installed wiring for Raymarine E85001 PC-Seatalk-NMEA interface box.  Picked up Seatalk bus in junction box in desk under navigation table.  Ran additional serial cable from interface to desktop.  Updated wiring diagrams hereUnfortunately, the interface changes the NMEA prefixes to $II (code for NMEA interface) on all NMEA output sentences.  Still unable to drive EBIRB using Raymarine data!  NMEA sentences from several onboard devices and E85001 interface shown here Spot re-finished portions of the port teak toe rail.  As before, used the Bosch Multi-X tool to sand worn segments of the rail; first with 80, then 120 grit.  Finished with 3 coats of Cetol Marine.


Sunny, 80F. Replaced leaking deck shower hose with 72" unit from Phoenix RV parts.  Re-programmed holding tank sensor mode to rectangular (as opposed to a tapered tank).  In the tapered tank mode, tank level readings were increasing more rapidly than physically possible!


Sunny, 82F.  Removed the starboard side handrails in the cabin and on deck.  Consistent with the survey, a small amount of damp core was found under the second forward mounting point.  Drilled the holes to oversize and using a drill equipped a Dremel 199 disc cutter, removed about 3/8" of balsa core between the skins around each hole essentially as described here.  More core (about 1") around the damp hole was removed with a piece of bent coat hanger to get to dry material.  Also, drilled three small holes into the lower skin (through the headliner) to assure drying, as well as a test hole (dry) an inch to the outboard side of the second attachment hole on the cabin top; will fill the interior holes later.  Using a small plastic syringe, filled each hole flush with the cabin top using West System 105 epoxy resin mixed with 205 (slow) hardener thickened with 404  High-Density filler.  Will bring starboard handrail home for re-finishing.


Sunny, 80F. Pete helped me remove the starboard cap shroud chain plate after disconnecting the rigging.  Removed the screws holding the cover and the chain plate.  Inspection of the stainless steel chain plate revealed very minor surface etching at the deck interface which cleaned up nicely with a light sanding.  Drilled out each of the four holes for mounting the cover.  Deck around the two outside holes was solid fiberglass.  The inboard holes went through a thin core which was damp, again as noted in the survey.  Cleaned out these inboard holes as described above and filled all holes with thickened epoxy.  When the epoxy was set, re-mounted the hardware, and sealed the chain plate-deck joint with Boatlife LifeCalk.  Re-bedded the cover in LifeCalk; this seems to hold the plate down nicely, no plans to re-drill the screw in the deck (despite the epoxy).


Cloudy, 75F.  Hurricane Earl (downgraded to Cat 1 on 9/3) coming up the East coast.  Sheila and I took down all of the canvas.  Rigged anti-chafe leather on the mooring line; added a second pennant; secured the boom; hung bumpers over the side.  Brought home the Avon 2.8.  Hoping for the best.


Sunny, 75F.  Re-rigged the boat; Hurricane Earl (Thank God) was a bust!  Better safe than sorry; a pain in the butt nonetheless.  Drilled holes through epoxy plugs and re-mounted the starboard side deck handrail.  Used white butyl tape bedding material as described above.  Tightened the mounting screws slowly over the next few days to squeeze out the excess sealant.  It was very easy to clean up the excess after trimming with a razor knife.


Sunny, 75F. Re-mounted the starboard cabin handrail.  Epoxied in 1/2" teak bungs to fill screw holes on port side cabin handrail; will sand flush and re-finish later.


Partly cloudy, 70F.  Back from a business trip to Banff; charged batteries, dinner at Stella Blues!


Sunny, 70F.  The end of the season is near; haul out scheduled for mid-October.  Charged batteries.  Sheila helped me take food and beverages ashore, as well as extra bedding not likely needed in the next few weeks.


Sunny, 60F.  Cleaned and flushed holding tank; giving in to the change of seasons with great reluctance.


Sunny, 65F.  Drained forward water tank.  Measured various intake hoses in preparation of winterization.  Water pump intake hose: 5/8" ID.  Toilet water intake hose: 3/4" ID.  Hot water tank inlet/outlet hoses: 1/2" ID.  Will prepare short hose assemblies to draw anti-freeze into these systems.  Will drain tank and add bypass hose to hot water heater I/O.


Sunny, 62F.  Disconnected head intake (seacock closed). Constructed an intake adapter to draw potable antifreeze (AF) through head pump mechanism (~1.5" of 3/4" ID tubing to 3/4-5/8" adapter to ~ 2.5' 5/8" ID tubing).  Pumped ~ 1/3 gallon AF into head; poured remainder of into bowl; pumped nearly dry.  Added 1 gallon of AF to forward water tank.  Drained cabin water tank.  Bypassed HW heater with 12" segment of 1/2" ID tubing with M-M adapters on each end.  Drained HW tank.  Drained remainder of water in HW tank by attaching and blowing into short length of hose at potable water inlet.  Emptied H/C water lines in cabin, head, and deck shower.  Drained AF from forward tank into cabin tank; added a second gallon of AF to forward tank and also allowed to drain into cabin tank; valve left open.  Ran all H/C water lines (head, cabin, deck shower) until AF coming out.  Added two more gallons AF to cabin tank; flushed all water lines again.

Ran engine to charge batteries.  Pumped out engine oil.  Changed oil filter (Yanmar part # 119305-35151).  Refilled oil with 2.3 quarts of Shell Rotella T3 15-40W.  Removed dodger, bimini and mainsail.  Brought home MOM, hanging propane locker, Lifesling, canvas and Avon inflatable.


Sunny, 60F.  Steve helping.  Disconnected raw water intake.  Constructed a hose to draw potable antifreeze (AF) through raw water pump (~5' of 5/8" ID tubing with male:male adapter). Started engine and pumped ~ 1 gallon of -50F AF followed by ~ 2 gallons of -100F AF through raw water pump.  Emptied and cleaned bilge.  Added ~ 1 quart of AF.  Removed cabin and V-berth doors.  Brought home for re-finishing.  Replaced upper grommet in Questus backstay mount.  Scrubbed bottom to remove sling marks.


Sunny, 55F.  Sheila helping.  Assembled supports for winter cover using adjustable framing brackets (DRB Innovators) and 3/4" schedule 40 PVC electrical conduit.  In addition to the ridgepole, three longitudinal  supports constructed on each side; all held in place with duct  tape.  Rob had previously made three ridgepole support stands which made the installation very easy.

Season Totals;  Tanqueray 10: 4L;  Campari: 1L

Fuel: 23 gallons

Engine hours:  685 (03/27/2010), 711 (07/03/2010), 733 (07/31/2010), 774 (10/17/10)

|| Gryphon's Home Page || N6RFM Home Page ||